Heart palpitations are temporary sensations leading to the heart beat harder, faster or skipping the beat too. If it happens from stress or exercise, this is absolutely normal. But sometimes, it indicates serious heart issue putting you at risk of any heart disease.
So, you must look whether it comes with bothersome and persistent symptoms or not. Here in this blog, you can come to know about the potential causes of palpitations and right time to go for a treatment. So, don’t miss to read it out.
What’s heart palpitation?
Any significant and noticeable change in the heartbeat refers to heart palpitations. In this condition, the heart rate will change or increase in different ways.
It is quite normal to experience but sometimes it indicated atypical heartbeats which change the electrical system of the heart. It speeds up or slows down without any exact reason and such abnormal rhythms refer to arrhythmias. At that time you need to seek medical attention.
Causes of heart palpitations
Heart rate changes cause palpitations and it happens by the aspects affecting rhythm or intensity of heart beat. Some common causes of heart palpitations are:
- Electrolyte abnormalities
- Heart conditions and arrhythmias
- Hormonal change
- Any mood disorder like anxiety or stress
- Specific medications
- Taking narcotics, alcohol, nicotine and caffeine
How heart palpitations feel like
There are different ways to feel heart palpitations. Here are some ways you can feel the sensation in the chest:
Palpitations can radiate to the neck too. Sometimes, it accompanies with other symptoms including general uneasiness. But feeling impending is the sign of heart attack.
Other symptoms you can experience along heart palpitations are:
- Feeling lightheaded
- Chest pain
- Breathing shortness
- Excessive thirst
When you need to visit a doctor
Although heart palpitation is concerning at any stage yet it can cause fleeting change in the rate of heart that response to different stimulus. Here are the situations when you must visit the doctor for the treatment of palpitations.
Several heart palpitations take place because of typical causes and improve as soon as the triggers remove like:
- Exercise- In case your heart is palpitating at the time of aerobic activity, swimming and running then the heart will beat harder right after the workout. Gradually, after stopping the exercise it will start fading out.
- Diet- Dietary change can affect the heart palpitation. Any high-carb meal will trigger the condition if the person has low glucose level. So, any caffeine-packed energy drink or additional cup of coffee will make your heart racing along head buzzing. Consumption of alcohol causes palpitation too.
- Stress- When you have any big events or narrowly escape the road accident stress can happen which will trigger several physical responses including nausea, sweating and heart palpitations. These are temporary sensations.
It can take place during following situations which are not medical emergency. As it represents the underlying medical condition you have to make doctor appointment and discuss about it with the expert.
- Anxiety- Additional tension and worry will activate the autonomic nervous system of the body. In case, it interferes with the usual functional ability then you need to contact a mental health professional:
- Tense muscles
- Rapid breathing
- Heart palpitations
- Pregnancy- While you are expecting a baby, the body undergoes multiple changes throughout the whole period.It increases heart rate and blood circulating amount in the body. So, you may experience it all of a sudden or after exercise. It can be the result of pregnancy hormone too. In case you are having brief episodes of palpitations then consult with the doctor.
- At night- Heart palpitations can bring changes to your breathing at night during snoozing. In case it is happening recurrently then you must take this into account.
The following indications of heart palpitations are potential initial sign of the health issue:
- When it returns after going away
- When it comes back frequently without any reason like caffeine consumption, stress and exercise
- If it accompanies by arrhythmia or heart attack symptoms like breathing shortness, abnormal sweating, overwhelming anxiety and chest pain
If there is any symptom of heart attack you need to seek urgent medical attention. There are many people who don’t know the way to respond the heart palpitations. Always trust your instinct and obtain correct treatment on time.
Anyone can get heart palpitation. This refers to harmless change in the rate of heart because of several reasons. But sometimes, it indicates serious underlying heart problem or anxiety. If you know the right time to seek treatment then it is good.
Furthermore, making certain lifestyle changes like stress management and cut on caffeine can provide peace of mind. In case, you are having this along other symptoms then see a doctor for heart palpitations today. Find out a clinic to arrange an appointment.